About the Executive Master in Art Market Studies program
University of Zurich’s Art Market Studies trains graduates who are currently active or pursuing a career related to the art market. We offer an independent and rigorous program designed by leading professionals and academics to meet today's challenges.
The outstanding teaching staff includes more than 60 international art market specialists and scholars who share their knowledge, experience and network with our students.
The program promotes entrepreneurial thinking and fosters an ethical approach to the art market. Participants benefit from Switzerland's unique network of cultural and research institutions, auction houses and galleries.
The interdisciplinary and integrative program covers three major areas:
- History of Art and Connoisseurship
- Art Law and Ethics
- Art Transactions and Valuation
These subjects are conveyed in lectures, art appraisal workshops, and case studies. In addition, field trips to art fairs, galleries, and biennials (Basel, Berlin, London, Hong Kong, Shanghai) are organized.
- develop their knowledge of the history, materials, and production processes of fine and applied arts from the Renaissance to the present day;
- evaluate artworks and use the latest art market analytical tools;
- use case studies to improve legal knowledge and foster ethical thinking;
- learn to synthesize and analyze processes that are critical to small and midsized businesses, and to develop innovative solutions for the commercial art world;
- develop their leadership and management skills
- analyze the latest digital processes and strategies related to the art market
Academic credits in compliance with the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) will be awarded for passing examinations, written works, and the Master thesis.
Courses are held on Fridays and Saturdays and are taught entirely in English.