Table of contents
The international art market has developed dramatically in recent years. This highly competitive area demands excellent qualifications, and businesses such as galleries, auction houses, insurance companies, and banks rely increasingly on the expertise of first-rate art market specialists.
The Executive Master in Art Market Studies equips participants with the professional and innovative skills needed to master the challenges of today’s art market. It promotes entrepreneurial thinking and fosters an ethical approach to the art market. Program participants benefit from Switzerland's outstanding network of research institutions, art market specialists, and professionals. The program’s teaching staff includes scholars and international art market specialists who bring systematic instruction and a broad range of knowledge and experience to our program. The unique integrative and interdisciplinary program covers three major areas:
- History of Art and Connoisseurship
- Art Law and Ethics
- Art Valuation and Management
These subjects are conveyed in lectures, art appraisal workshops, and case studies. In addition, field trips are organized to art fairs, galleries, and biennales in Basel, Berlin, London, Maastricht, and Sao Paulo.
- develop their knowledge of the history, materials, and production processes of fine and applied arts from the Renaissance to the present day,
- evaluate artworks and use the latest art-market analytical tools,
- use case studies to improve legal knowledge and foster ethical thinking,
- learn to synthesize and analyze processes that are critical to small and midsized businesses and to develop innovative solutions for the commercial art world, and
- develop their leadership and management skills.
The program is primarily designed for graduates who are currently active or pursuing a career related to the art market. Professional experience will be considered.
There is no art history prerequisite.
Courses are held on Fridays and Saturdays in Zurich and are taught entirely in English.
The next part-time program begins in September 2019 and lasts until June 2021.
To apply, please fill out the application form (PDF, 155 KB)and return it the address mentioned in the form. All suitably qualified applicants will be interviewed.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Executive Master of Advanced Studies UZH in Art Market Studies
Academic credits will be awarded in compliance with the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) for passing examinations and/or for written work.
Executive Master / Master of Advanced Studies
65 ECTS points
The Executive Master course of studies takes place over two years (four semesters) and contains
Course of Study
Lectures take place Fridays and Saturdays, 9:15am until 5:15pm. You will find the dates of the 2017 - 2019 course of study in this document (PDF, 36 KB). The dates for the 2019-21 curriculum will be published at a later stage.
The lectures mainly take place at:
- University of Zurich, Raemistrasse 59, CH-8006 Zurich,
- University of Zurich Continuing Education Center, Schaffhauserstrasse 228, CH-8057 Zurich-Oerlikon,
- Partner institutions in Zurich, Switzerland, and abroad.
- Executive Master (MAS): CHF 28,000
Registration, exam fees, and course materials are complementary. Travel and accommodation costs are not included.
Study fees for continuing education programs are tax deductible up to the amount of CHF 12,000. For further information, please visit the website of the Swiss Confederation.